Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fun hobbies that make you feel like an old lady.

Crocheting.  Yes, crocheting.  I remember my mom crocheting when I was a kid and I learned a little bit but didn't get too into it because the yarn always bothered my very sensitive skin. 

Fast forward to present time, my friend Loin (a nickname that she hates :) ) started getting into it and it got my "I can make that!" juices flowing.  So I went and got myself a couple of hooks and some extra soft yarn so it wouldn't bother my skin and started working.  I started with a blanket for my own little one and then I thought I better put my baby's blanket on the back burner for now and get going on a baby blanket for my then unknown little niece or nephew.  I didn't realize how many hours went into crocheting a blanket.  I would have started WAYYYYY earlier if I would have realized.  It was worth it though.  I finished it up two days after my nephew Liam was born and was able to give it to his momma while they were still in the hospital !


Here is my little lovebug all wrapped up in his little blanket :)  I think it turned out pretty well for my first finished blanket!

I am a beginner so I started with a very easy pattern.  I chained 175 (which was too much, next time I will do 140 or 150) and did two single rows and then one row of a double crochet skipping every third stitch which created the holes.  Made it look a bit more complex which now you know was not.  My secret is out.  Haha. 

 Then my nephew Alexander came two days later!  I won't be able to meet this new little bugger for quite some time since they live on the other side of the country but I wanted to make him something  in addition to the other homemade presents I have for him.  I've never made one before but since they seemed easy enough I whipped up a couple of hats for the little mister.  I made a smaller one and a bigger one.  I think the bigger one will fit for next winter.  (Sorry if you look at this ahead of time Kaela!  This part of the present is now spoiled but there is still more!)

Max doesn't understand this new hobby of mine.  He thinks that the yarn ends up costing as much as a blanket you'd buy and I have to put all those hours into it.  Men just don't understand the sentimentality of homemade gifts do they?  I think it's actually a pretty cheap hobby to get into! 

Tune in next time after I have my sewing day with my friend Erin!  We are going to attempt a few different things in preparation for our little ones who are due just 10 days apart :)


No comments:

Post a Comment