Friday, April 20, 2012

The Cove by Ron Rash

The Cove by Ron Rash

Summary:  There is a dual story line but mostly its about a young woman named Laurel who lives in a cove in the Carolina's that said to be cursed.  It is set during Post WWI (I think).  She is treated like a witch in the town of Mars Hill because she has a birthmark on her shoulder.  Laurel is a lonely young woman who lives with her brother.  The only other people that talk to her are an old man that lives nearby and her best friend that she sees once a month. 
In wanders a stranger who cannot speak.  He adapts quickly to life on the cove and he and Laurel fall in love.

Did I mention this book is sad?  Well, despite the love story part, this book is sad.  Sad, sad, sad.  I had to get a hug from Max when I finished reading it.

Readability:  VERY easy.  I had this book done in one day.  An hour on lunch and 2 hours after Dexter went to bed. 

Rating: I'll say 7 out of 10.  There was the second part of the story that I didn't care for... a perspective of another character.  I'm not going to lie, I mostly skipped over his parts.  The story line was really good and I didn't want to put it down  Then again I never want to put my books down.  I wish it was longer though and went more in depth.

Recommend?  Sure, if you want a quick easy decent read this is the book for you.

*Props to Erin for the "template" so to speak for this review :)

No comments:

Post a Comment