Thursday, September 26, 2013

I heart books!

I am an avid reader.  Always have been.  I would have to say it is my favorite hobby.  My mind is one of those that just doesn't stop.  I'm always thinking of something and the only way to just shut everything off and take a break is to dive headfirst into a book. 

One problem with my love of reading is that I have no self control.  There is no way I can stop reading a book.  Most of the time I will read a book straight through or if it's a long one, it MIGHT take me 2 days.  Three at the most.  I read the Twilight series in 3 days.  I read the entire Harry Potter series in a week.  I read the Hunger Games while up at the cabin for a weekend.  You get the picture.  I especially try to stay away from series since they take up more of my time. 

Either way, I have many people asking me for book ideas to read or what I have recently read.  I go in spurts with my reading.  I try to stay away from my Kindle when I have stuff I need to do.  Then I'll miss it too much and pick it up and read, read, read. 

So this week, since I've been so sick and unable to do anything more than tend to the kids during the day and collapse on the couch once all the daycare kids have been picked up, I have read two books.  I won't lie... both I read straight through.

I prefer fiction over anything else and I tend to find period books.  If that isn't your style then you won't like what I read.  I'm just saying.

The first is called A Different Blue by Amy Harmon.  Let me tell you, this gal can write.  I read another of hers called Running Barefoot and it was honestly an instant favorite.  This one was no different.  I loved every bit of this book.  I plan on reading her other books and have already pre-ordered her next book Making Faces which comes out on October 20.  She will definitely be an author to watch for me.  I don't plan on doing a book review... not my style.  Here is the link to the amazon page for this book.  You can read the review from there.

Last night, in my misery, I read In the Field by Willow Aster.  Another good one.  Not quite as good as Harmon's books but still a good read.  I enjoyed it and would probably try another one out by the same author.  Again, here is the Amazon link.

I'll try to keep up with this.  I like to have a "back-up" of the books I've read.  I tend to own all the books I read because I often like to go back and re-read them or just read my favorite parts.  Hard to do when you don't own the book.  I am the biggest cheapo (next to my husband) and tried to harness in my one spending habit and went to the library.  It was great.  Free books and all I had to do was return them on time.  Problem was, I couldn't remember what books I had read and when I got a certain part of a book stuck in my  head or got the urge to re-read one, I didn't know the title or the author.  This was before that fancy new library program that keeps track of all the books you read.  There is one particular book that I would love to re-read and I have tried so many times to figure out what book it is but haven't had any luck so far.  It drives me nuts.  Needless to say, this is why I try to own all my books and why I enjoy a "back up".

 I search for freebies off the Amazon hot 100 free list.  Most of the time those are trashy romance novels but once in a while I find a good enough one.  One to get me by.  Only once have I found a very good read.  I don't remember which one that was.  Either way, both these books were $3.99.  I spend my "play money" on books.  I think it's worth every penny!  Cheap, smeap.  We all have our vices!

I remembered!  My good freebie book was The Midwife's Here by Linda Fairley.  It's a true story about how Linda started school for nursing and found her calling to become a midwife.  She is the longest standing midwife in Britain.  She's actually written a second book (uh oh, a series!) and I can't wait to read it!  Amazon link...

No comments:

Post a Comment